Monday 7 July 2008

'Skinny Boys in Suits'

Well, what a rollercoaster ride it has been for those final Dr Who episodes…

I watched them back to back when I returned from holiday, pausing just for a short catching of breath and the tiniest of ‘woo-hoos’ before continuing on to the grand finale of Journey’s End.

Cheesy? Yes. Did it matter? Not one tiny bit.

I was always keen on Catherine Tate as a companion, but I have to say she surpassed all my expectations. It was great to see a really sound buddy relationship on the TARDIS. Another fascinating thing was how similar Tate’s fast talking persona is to Tennant’s – it took this episode for me to really see it though. I wonder if the casting or the plot came first? Woteva, it worked for me.

So, I was really sad to see Donna go home – more so than Rose, who seemed a bit out of place this series, perhaps intentionally…. I got really confused about whether she got her happy ending. On the whole, I think not, although she got a very pretty substitute to play with. Gives the option for lots more complicated reunions in the future though, so all in all quite a smart move I think.

Clever RTD though – just what we needed to clear the decks ready for the start of a new regime. And didn’t he have fun – putting in all the bits you would expect, and having lots of little games, like the Daleks interrupting the brilliantly clichĂ©d Rose and Doctor reunion. Very, very silly, but I liked very much.



I have loved every incarnation of Dr Who that I have ever seen, although I do have a bit of a gap between Peter Davidson and Paul McGann*. So I don’t have much truck with the competition between different incarnations, and tend to lap it up uncritically, whatever I am given, but here is my wish list for the next series anyway.

• Keep with the teatime family drama and up the sci-fi content a bit
• Lets have the Doctor back to his snappy, energetic, fast-talking self, rather than moping about with tears in his eyes.
• Lovely though it all was, I think the Doctor’s heart has been broken enough now – surely a Time Lord will need to hang around with mates for at least an aeon before he will have recovered.
• Bernard Cribbins was great – I’d like to see Wilf as a companion for one of the specials at least
• More running about and pulling levers on complicated Heath Robinson type machinery please.
• Bring back the Master and let us have a little rest from the Daleks

So that I’ve got all my Doctor Who thoughts dealt with in one go, here are my wishes for the next Doctor:
Black : Shaun Parkes**,
Female: Catherine Tate**, Tamsin Greig ** or Ann Marie Duff
Pretty and Talented: Julian Rhind-Tutt, James McAvoy, or John Simm**
Just because he’d be brilliant: Philip Glenister



*Colin what?.... Sylvester who?....lalalala
** Who cares if they have been in the series before?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

welcome back!

chatterbox said...

Thank you!

Semaphore said...

I second your vote for Philip Glenister, and not just because I think he should be on the telly more. EVEN BETTER I think they should do a crossover with Life on Mars when the Tardis pitches up in the station and Gene refuses to believe in aliens and then he insults the Doctor, a lot, and then the Doctor finds Sam Tyler familiar but can't work out why... OH IT WOULD BE SO GOOD.

I also want Tamsin Greig. I heard JRT was quite seriously in the running, though? Or was that just a rumour?

chatterbox said...

I think JRT is just a rumour but I live in hope...

I like your LOM/Dr Who crossover even better - that should fuel a few daydreams!

Anonymous said...

Cool

Anonymous said...

I love wearing skinny jeans especially Mans Suit so fashionable.